Chilli jam ....

Monday, April 9, 2012

Last summer I discovered Nigella Lawson's chilli jam recipe and made what I thought would be enough to last us all winter however, as I chuck it in every imaginable meal (not just chilli con carne but omelettes, fish cakes etc.), sadly my jars ran empty.   So this summer I put in twice as many chilli plants and have ended up with 12 lovely jars. 



The recipe is soooo easy - you just whizz a couple of red peppers and about 250g of red chillis (you're supposed to deseed them but I leave them in as we like it hot) in the food processor, pop a 1kg packet of Chelsea jam setting sugar and 600ml of cider vinegar (I used apple cider) on the stove and let the sugar dissolve without stirring, chuck in the whizzed chilli and pepper mix and "rolling" boil it for 10 mins.   Then let it cool down before bottling.   As it cools it's supposed to get thicker and while the batch I made this weekend didn't thicken up as much as the last two it doesn't really matter for what I use it for.   So easy - and so much better than paying the $8 per tiny little jar if you have to buy it .......

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP